Sijian Zhou on Wed, 15 Mar 2000 09:11:26 -0500 (EST)

[PLUG] RedHat Linux 6.1 ISP connection

I have a system with Curix M II-300 CPU, Best Data's
Smart One 2834 Family Modem. I installed RedHat Linux
6.1 and try to connect ISP www.access1.net. Here is my
problem:

Following instatrction by 'RedHar Linux 6.1
unsleashed', I tried to use Manual, GNOME, KDE and
minicom to configure my modem:

After I restart my PC:
Manual, GNOME just say 'modem failed'.
KDE say 'Sorry, the modem is busy' or 'Sorry, the
modem doesn't respond'.
minicom say 'you are online already, please hangup',
after I hangup and type ^AH, it either show 'you are
online...' again or try to dial and 'connection fail'.

I tried several other ways like: use another modem,
turn off PnP OS extention, before dialing
initalize/reset. All give same problem.

One another thing: if I set modem dip to COM3, KDE has
to set to ttyS3 to get 'busy' message. if I set modem
dip to COM4, KDE has to set to ttyS2 to get 'busy'
message. Otherwise just got '...doesn't respond'
message. I could not set dip to COM1 and COM2. There
is conflict.

Any suggestion how to fix this problem?

Thanks

=====