Kevin Brosius on Fri, 17 Mar 2000 08:59:39 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] totally simple X question

> > I installed Linux here at work and have encountered a problem that I'm sure
> > is simple to fix. When I start X (in this case using Gnome) my 'desktop' is
> > about 4 times larger than my screen.  [...]
>
> Check your X Configuration in /etc/X11/XF86Config.  Find the screens
> section and tweak the screen configuration you're using (svga, accelerated,
> whatever):
>
>         Section "Screen"
>             Driver      "svga"
>             # Use Device "Generic VGA" for Standard VGA 320x200x256
>             #Device      "Generic VGA"
>             Device      "My Video Card"
>             Monitor     "Dell VS17"
>             Subsection "Display"
>                 Depth       16
>         #        Modes       "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768"
>                 Modes       "1024x768"
>                 ViewPort    0 0
>                 Virtual     1024 768
>             EndSubsection
>         EndSection
>

> Your initial mode and virtual screen size should match.
>
> I'm sure there's a better way to do this, but this is how I've always
> tweaked XFree86 to disable this annoying feature.

I believe you can also comment out the Virtual keyword.  But all that
does is default the Virtual screen size to your largest mode.

It sounds like for your case you want to pick the desktop size and
resolution you like most, and then set the largest 'Mode' to that
resolution.  And comment out the 'Virtual' keyword.

Also, if you like the server to come up in the highest resolution mode,
put that mode first on the Mode line. eg:

                 Modes       "1024x768" "800x600"
#                 Virtual     1024 768

--
Kevin Brosius