Bill Jonas on Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:31:45 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] RedHat Linux 6.1 ISP connection

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Sijian Zhou wrote:

>This time, it got better:
>I can dial out to my ISP modem number. I can hear the
>modem noise. But the connection seems taking forever
>and never confirmed. During the dial, my mouse is
>disabled and when I disconnected the dial, the mouse
>worked again.

It sounds like it there may be some kind of hardware conflict.

>Also, I have to use 'default modem'
>selection, not '/dev/ttyS2' to dial.

This could possibly be a quirk of the software you're using to
dial.  Try an 'ls -d /dev/modem' to find out what device it's linked to.

>The start string:
>ATZ
>The dial string:
>ATDT14847914567

You might try looking around in your modem's documentation (if you still
have it) for a good inititalization ("start") string.  If you don't have
it, I noticed at bestdata.com that they have a downloadable files
section (in the tech support area); you might be able to find something
there.

>I think the long dialing problem probably related to
>handshaking. But I don't know what should I add
>besides username/password.
>
>Any idea?

Our own Chris Fearnley has a page up at
http://www.netaxs.com/~cjf/linux.html; this is about connecting to
Netaxs, and it's for using command-line tools, but you may be able to
use the information there to find some more clues as to what's going on
and why.  In particular, wvdial is a decent piece of software that uses
heuristics to determine what The Right Thing To Do is.

Wait a second, that might be part of the problem.  Because it attempts
to make 'educated guesses' about it should do when confronted with
something it thinks looks like a prompt, it's not always 100%
accurate.  (I speak from experience.)  If RH's graphical tool is a
front-end to this, that could be part of the problem.  Does anybody
know?

Bill
--
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought.
But World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- A. E.