Greg Lopp on Fri, 17 Mar 2000 12:12:02 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] RedHat Linux 6.1 ISP connection

Sijian Zhou wrote:

> Hi, Greg and Simons:
>
> Thanks a lot for your discussion on my ISP connection
> problem.
>
> I followed Greg's instruction step by step last night.
> And I got message 'Failed to activate
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0' after I
> tried to active my newly configed 'ppp0'.

Did it fail to even dial?

> Greg: Everything in your instruction make sense to me
> but at step 7: 'Leave Hostname and Domain fields
> unchanged,
> fill in the other two with info you got from your
> ISP.' My Domain default was blank. I left 'Search for
> host name in addition dmnains' field empty too. I put
> my IPS's DNSs (206.13.101.10; 206.13.28.12) to
> Nameservers field. Is this right?

Should be fine.  That field tells the computer where to look for
additional DNS.  The first two (206.13.101.10; 206.13.28.12) should do
the job fine.

> After failed attempt to use netcfg/control-panel to
> set up my ISP. I found there is another KDE tool to
> set up ISP in it's menu system. This tool is very
> similar with the ISP config tool in Win98. This time,
> it got better:
> I can dial out to my ISP modem number. I can hear the
> modem noise. But the connection seems taking forever
> and never confirmed. During the dial, my mouse is
> disabled and when I disconnected the dial, the mouse
> worked again. I did try to use netscape browser (even
> without mouse) during dial. It failed to access
> internet sites. Also, I have to use 'default modem'
> selection, not '/dev/ttyS2' to dial. Otherwise, the
> modem don't ring the number at all. I configed my
> modem to COM3.
>
> The start string:
> ATZ
> The dial string:
> ATDT14847914567
>
> I think the long dialing problem probably related to
> handshaking. But I don't know what should I add
> besides username/password.
>
> Any idea?

This is getting more confusing.  The good news is that we are certain the
your modem works, but since your mouse stops working there might be an
IRQ conflict.  Check out the Modem-HOWTO for details on debuging this :
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.3

If handshaking is the issue, then we are into the black magic part of
this process.  I had tried and tried to manually config everything when I
was first doing this, but in the end netcfg called pppd with a set of
parameters that I had never seen in any of the
documentation.....anyway.....

The question now is what are your machine and the ISP saying to eachother
or trying to say?  Do you manage to login and then fail to establish a
ppp link?  It is difficult to know what is happening because the
graphical tools are hiding these details from us.

The KDE tool must create a script somewhere on your system, possibly more
than one.  You need to change either one of these scripts or your KDE
settings so that the handshaking gets logged.  If pppd was called with
the debug and kdebug=3 options, you could view the ppp handshaking in
/var/log/messages.  Does anybody know where this KDE tools saves it
scripts?