Darxus on Fri, 24 Mar 2000 00:01:02 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] I can view my system via dial up

On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, Tom Joyce wrote:

> Hi,
> I run Linux on my home PC I have the web server running and various other
> services by default. I connect to a local ISP with Kppp.  I was using the kfm
> browser and was wondering what it would look like in the logs some sites
> keep, the Operating System browser type etc., I went to
> http://straylight.cso.niu.edu/ncsa/cgi/examples.html and tried one of the
> scripts to see my Enviorment variables. I noticed it showed me my remote
> address, an IP number. I entered that IP address in my browser and my personal
> PC web page appeared. I can Telnet ,FTP via the Internet to my own PC. Of
> course this number changes on each dial up.
>
> I don't really have a question but  I thought it was cool and just wondered if
> anyone else knows this can be done or cares.

Welcome to the world of unix :)

I used to leave my machine connected 24/7, and access my home computer
from work all the time (when I had a dedicated line at my mom's house).
Relatively soon I hope to get DSL, with a static IP, and move my home page
to my computer.

This should also open your eyes a bit to the fact that everyone else in
the world can also access your computer.  Make sure your kernel's compiled
w/ firewalling & play w/ ipchains (this isn't required, but fun).