Jason Lenthe on Wed, 29 Mar 2000 08:34:53 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Silly Emacs Question

If you edit a file under windows, then edit it under linux (vi or emacs or
whatever) you'll see those ^M s.  My favorite way of getting rid of them is
to do

cat myfile | tr -d '\r' > out
mv out myfile

You can always inspect out before you overwrite the original to make sure
you got it right.

Jason

You wrote:

Started using emacs and it seems to put a ^m at the end of each line.
How do I stop this?  I have a shell (tcsh) where I am setting some
environment vars (setenv) and this ^m shows up in all.   Realize this is
not strictly Linux.

Greg