Michael W. Ryan on Wed, 29 Mar 2000 09:15:13 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Rapid Rollout of linux boxes?

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Andrew Brennan wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Dave Torok wrote:
>
> >   The director of the program was lamenting how he would love to put
> > Linux on the boxes, but that it "wasn't there yet".  He also noted
> > how Norton Ghost can do a Windows setup clone in 8 minutes and RedHat
> > took 2 hours (well, I've done it in 15 minutes).

Just a note:  I'm basing this answer on how Altris' ImageBlaster works,
but I think the principle carries.

It has to do with the file systems.  With a FAT filesystem, you only need
to transfer the FAT and the actual data on the drive.  You don't need to
transfer the unused portion of the drive.  Unfortunately, with a
file system like ext2fs, you need to transfer the whole drive, both the
data and unused portions.  IB has a utility that lets you zero-out the
unused part of the drive, allowing for very efficient compression.  Check
to see if Ghost has a similar utility.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)