Greg Lopp on Wed, 29 Mar 2000 09:59:23 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] debian install two nic

marc wrote:

> thanks for the response     still stuck on hardware
> the other computers can ping eth0 192.168.0.20
> only the machine with the 192.168.0.22 can ping eth1 192.168.0.22

Again, I think that if dmesg doesn't describe a failure initializing eth1 and
ifconfig doesn't complain, then the OS and the HW are happy.  I just tried "ifconfig
eth1 192.168.1.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 up" here on my one nic machine and the reply
was :

eth1: unknown interface: No such device
eth1: error fetching interface information: Device not found

The problem with pinging eth1 (192.168.0.22) might be related to your network
configuration (physical and logical).  If the other computers are physically
connected to eth0 only, what you are seeing would make sence.......Tell me about the
physical layout of your network.

> this evening I will double check the hardware
>
> after ifconfig eth1 do I need a route add -host?

Depends

> must ip_masq be compiled or can I run it as a module?

Of the 25 kernel config options listed in the IP-masq howto, all but 6 must be
compiled - modules are not an available choice for the rest.  Some of the 25 are
optional, but the core networking options (like firewalling and IP masq support)
require that they be compiled into the kernel.