Martin DiViaio on Thu, 30 Mar 2000 08:29:09 -0500 (EST)

[PLUG] FTP Security

This falls into the DUH! catagory, but I just realized that FTP access
was wide open on my system. Well, since I have it I decided to secure it
instead of killing it. Only allowing my personal account to have access.

I have two questions though...

First, can I change the process owner in /etc/inetd.conf or would that
break ftp?

Second, I'm including my /etc/ftpaccess file. Is there anything else I
should/can do or shouldn't be doing?

I know that I can just remove the anonftp package but I want to secure
it in case I make a mistake and add it later during an upgrade.

Thanks.

/etc/ftpaccess

class   all   real,guest,anonymous  *

defaultserver private
defaultserver deny *
defaultserver allow martindiviaio

virtual * private

guestserver

email root@localhost

loginfails 5

limit-time      anonymous       1
limit-time      guest           1

banner  /home/ftp/.message
greeting terse

readme  README*    login
readme  README*    cwd=*

message /welcome.msg            login
message .message                cwd=*

compress        yes             all
tar             yes             all
chmod           no              all
delete          no              all
overwrite       no              all
rename          no              all
umask           no              all

log syslog+xferlog
log security  anonymous,guest,real
log transfers anonymous,guest,real inbound,outbound

shutdown /etc/shutmsg

passwd-check rfc822 enforce

anonymous-root /home/ftp/pub
guest-root /home/ftp/pub

dns refuse_mismatch  /home/ftp/.dns_failure_msg
dns refuse_noreverse /home/ftp/.dns_failure_msg