Aarune J. Oracle on Wed, 5 Apr 2000 10:34:28 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Two Questions...

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000 DrexelDG@aol.com wrote:

:First one is rather stupid.  :)
:
:After compiling my kernal, meaning going to /usr/src/linux and running make xconfig... then running make clean; make dep; make zlilo; make modules; make modules_install; make vmlinuz
:
:I can't get the newly complied kernal to boot up... everytime I put it in the /boot directory it says the boot image is too large...  I am sure there is a really simple answer to this, but since I don't know it, it compounds the problem.

I had this problem for a while myself, I just wanted to compile things
into my kernel, and not have to many modules.

try make xconfig; make clean; make dep; make modules; make
modules_install; make bzImage

The bzImage will compress the kernel and I think it copies it to /vmlinuz

Here is a good link for a kernel compile HOWTO from zdnet.

http://www.zdnet.com/zdhelp/stories/main/0,5594,2213046,00.html

--
-Rune

Operating-system software is the program that orchestrates all the basic
functions of a computer.

		-- The Wall Street Journal, Tuesday, September 15, 1987, page 40

Windows 2000 can be called a parasite because it keeps growing, consuming
its host's resources and spreading across networks