LeRoy Cressy on Wed, 5 Apr 2000 16:51:39 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Two Questions...

try this as root:

after you configure the .config file do:

make dep ; make bzImage ; make modules ; make modules_install ; \
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-2.x.x ; \
cp System.map System.map-2.x.x ; \
rm /vmlinu* ; cd / ; ln -s boot/bzImage-2.x.x vmlinuz ; \
ln -s boot/OldKernel vmlinuz.old

Then edit your /etc/lilo.conf file appropriately.

I personally like 3 kernel images on my system.

boot=/dev/sda1
root=/dev/sda1
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
prompt
timeout=300

image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only

image=/vmlinuz.old
        label=Linux.old
        read-only

image=/vmlinuz.dist
        label=Linux.dist
        read-only

this way I always have a copy of the distribution kernel just in case I
really do something goofy :-)