Aarune J. Oracle on Wed, 5 Apr 2000 16:53:47 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Two Questions...

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Luis Baars wrote:

:From my experience with bzlilo, it does not put bzImage in the /boot
:directory.  After running "make bzImage" I found my new bzImage in
:/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot.  After copying this bzImage into /boot, I had
:to edit lilo.conf and added something like the following lines for a new
:image:
:
:image = /boot/bzImage
:        label = new_linux
:        read-only
:        initrd = /boot/initrd.img
:        root = /dev/hda1
:
:Then I reran lilo and then I restarted my computer and used new_linux as my
:lilo option.  Hopefully it will work for you, make sure you keep your old
:vmlinuz in /boot and the original linux image in lilo.conf so that you go
:back to it in case you screw up.
:
:Side note:  When I first recompiled my kernel, after booting up on my new
:image, I got a whole bunch of errors when loading my modules saying
:something about "unresolved dependencies".  It drove me up the wall until I
:found the solution.  Here it is.....before running "make modules", move the
:directory in /lib/modules to an old version.  For example, my linux version
:number is 2.2.12-20, so the directory in /lib/modules is 2.2.12-20, so I
:renamed it to 2.2.12-20.old and then ran make modules and make
:modules_install.  After this, to check and see if you get any errors at
:bootup, you can type "depmod -a".  This will tell you if you have any
:unresolved module dependencies.
:
:I hope this helps.
:
Hey nice tip, I will have to try that when it is time to upgrade my
kernel, it does sound like it will make a few things more nicer.

--
-Rune

Operating-system software is the program that orchestrates all the basic
functions of a computer.

		-- The Wall Street Journal, Tuesday, September 15, 1987, page 40

Windows 2000 can be called a parasite because it keeps growing, consuming
its host's resources and spreading across networks