Luis Baars on Wed, 5 Apr 2000 16:43:10 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Two Questions...

<snip>
running zlilo runs lilo for you and puts it all where it needs to go so
all you have to do afterwards is reboot to use the new kernel.  I have not
used bzlilo before so I cannot say the same for that one, but it sounds
nicer the bzImage.

--
-Rune
<snip>

From my experience with bzlilo, it does not put bzImage in the /boot
directory. After running "make bzImage" I found my new bzImage in /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot. After copying this bzImage into /boot, I had to edit lilo.conf and added something like the following lines for a new image:

image = /boot/bzImage
       label = new_linux
       read-only
       initrd = /boot/initrd.img
       root = /dev/hda1

Then I reran lilo and then I restarted my computer and used new_linux as my lilo option. Hopefully it will work for you, make sure you keep your old vmlinuz in /boot and the original linux image in lilo.conf so that you go back to it in case you screw up.

Side note: When I first recompiled my kernel, after booting up on my new image, I got a whole bunch of errors when loading my modules saying something about "unresolved dependencies". It drove me up the wall until I found the solution. Here it is.....before running "make modules", move the directory in /lib/modules to an old version. For example, my linux version number is 2.2.12-20, so the directory in /lib/modules is 2.2.12-20, so I renamed it to 2.2.12-20.old and then ran make modules and make modules_install. After this, to check and see if you get any errors at bootup, you can type "depmod -a". This will tell you if you have any unresolved module dependencies.

I hope this helps.

Luis