Greg Lopp on Wed, 5 Apr 2000 17:10:14 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Two Questions...

Luis Baars wrote:

> <snip>
> running zlilo runs lilo for you and puts it all where it needs to go so
> all you have to do afterwards is reboot to use the new kernel.  I have not
> used bzlilo before so I cannot say the same for that one, but it sounds
> nicer the bzImage.
>
> --
> -Rune
> <snip>

> >From my experience with bzlilo, it does not put bzImage in the /boot
> directory.  After running "make bzImage" I found my new bzImage in
> /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot.  After copying this bzImage into /boot, I had
> to edit lilo.conf and added something like the following lines for a new
> image:
>
> image = /boot/bzImage
>         label = new_linux
>         read-only
>         initrd = /boot/initrd.img
>         root = /dev/hda1
>
> Then I reran lilo and then I restarted my computer and used new_linux as my
> lilo option.  Hopefully it will work for you, make sure you keep your old
> vmlinuz in /boot and the original linux image in lilo.conf so that you go
> back to it in case you screw up.

cut from /usr/src/linux-2.2.12/arch/i386/Makefile :

Image: vmlinux
 @$(MAKEBOOT) zImage

bzImage: vmlinux
 @$(MAKEBOOT) bzImage

compressed: zImage

zlilo: vmlinux
 @$(MAKEBOOT) BOOTIMAGE=zImage zlilo

bzlilo: vmlinux
 @$(MAKEBOOT) BOOTIMAGE=bzImage zlilo
<<<<<<<<<

@$(MAKEBOOT) calls /usr/src/linux-2.2.12/arch/i386/boot, which says

zlilo: $(CONFIGURE) $(BOOTIMAGE)
 if [ -f $(INSTALL_PATH)/vmlinuz ]; then mv $(INSTALL_PATH)/vmlinuz
$(INSTALL_PATH)/vmlinuz.old; fi
 if [ -f $(INSTALL_PATH)/System.map ]; then mv $(INSTALL_PATH)/System.map
$(INSTALL_PATH)/System.old; fi
 cat $(BOOTIMAGE) > $(INSTALL_PATH)/vmlinuz
 cp $(TOPDIR)/System.map $(INSTALL_PATH)/
 if [ -x /sbin/lilo ]; then /sbin/lilo; else /etc/lilo/install; fi
<<<<<<<<<
So make bzlilo first makes vmlinux and then does the following:
1) saves your current /boot/vmlinuz to /boot/vmlinuz.old
2) saves your current /boot/System.map to /boot/System.old
3) copies /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz
4) copies System.map from somewhere to /boot/System.map
5) runs /sbin/lilo if you have it, otherwise /etc/lilo/install   (is that
because of older versions of lilo?)

No changes to lilo.conf are needed, since you are still booting /boot/vmlinuz,
though the one time addition of /boot/vmlinuz.old would be a good idea.