Steven J Pulito on Wed, 5 Apr 2000 10:32:38 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] microsoft lost

First of all my $0.02 is that every one should lighten up a bit, as far as
I'm concerned this list is for friendly chat among linux enthusiasts.

> > "Incessant."  I've seen no evidence of anything of the sort continuing
> > non-stop on this list.  Or are you speaking of in general?  I'm sorry, I
> > thought this was a discussion of what goes on on this list.
>
> I think he meant "incessant" in the sense that anytime MS is mentioned at
> all on this list, it's to bash. Or it seems so.
> ('Course, I could be wrong)

Maybe it is true that Microsoft tends to get a bad rap around here.  But
is that a bad thing?  Maybe Linux users are just a little ticked
because they know Microsoft has limited consumer choice and hindered the
advancement of the computer industry.  Maybe the negative MS attitude
comes from the fact that a lot of us have known for a while what just got
proved in court, that Microsoft is a blatantly criminal
organization.

> > Besides, NT/2K isn't king on the server.
>
> Sure it is (NT, anyway). King in the sense of market share (defined as a
> percentage of total server installations). NT, Netware, Linux, if I remember
> the last numbers I saw for new installations.

Well could you please share your source?  According to mine,
<http://www.mercurycenter.com/business/center/unix102798.htm>, NT is far
from the King.  Unix, of which Linux is a descendant, is currently on top
by quite a large margin.  Granted this data is from '98, but the trend
shows Unix grabbing market share faster than NT.  So unless you can show
us some credible data proving otherwise I'm going to figure that NT didn't
manage to close the 26% gap.

-Steve