Michael W. Ryan on Thu, 6 Apr 2000 09:09:34 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Advocacy

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Steven J Pulito wrote:

> I did not mean to imply that you were part of it, because
> most likely if you were you would have nothing to do with this list and
> PLUG in general.  I commend you for your ability to see past the rhetoric
> and choose whichever solution suits your needs.

Thank you.  That's also why I get so bent when it seems like people are
doing things that are counter-productive to promoting Linux.

> Second I would like to state for the record that I have nothing personal
> against Michael even though we are on different sides of this
> debate.  Rather I think it is impressive that he has knowledge of
> Microsoft and the credentials to back it up as well as a voice and
> credentials in the Linux community.

Please don't credit me with more than I can claim.  The only Linux
credential I can claim is the possession of a system at home that I use as
a desktop system.  There are people here with far more credentials in that
arena than myself.

> > Why should they bother?  Why should they deal with the rancor of the Linux
> > community?
>
> they should do whatever they please.  It doesn't bother me that you know
> people who looked over Linux simply because they didn't like the
> crowd.  But I won't be sorry when a competitor of theirs who was more open
> minded puts a dent in their bottom line.

I'm not saying that you should try to win them, specifically.  I see it as
simply an example of a more widespread situation.

> Additionally I would like to point out that everyday the 'zealots' you
> refer to are becoming more and more of a minority.  Where as it used to be
> imposible to get commercial support for Linux this is no longer
> true.  Therefore if one is concentrating on the business needs, of which
> support is a big deal, then Linux is looking more and more favorable.

My only question on the zealots become more of a minority is are they
becoming a *vocal* minority?

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 2000
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)