Bill Jonas on Thu, 6 Apr 2000 10:54:57 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Netscape 6 PR1

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Daniel W. Ottey wrote:

>at all - too cluttered and just weird.  It reminded me of something which
>I felt must hav ebeen written in some weird programming language - like

INTERCAL, perhaps?  <chuckle>  I forget where I heard of it, but it's
sure a weird language.  (For starters, instead of saying "623", you say
"SIX TWO THREE".)

Sorry, that comment just reminded me of that.  I don't have an URL
handy, but a search should turn up stuff if anybody's interested.

>regular programming language (or sumthin) and get it to look atleast
>somewhat like what I am used to in Netscape 4.x.  Well form what I see
>today of this pre-release, its crap.  I don't know HOW they think they're
>going to pull users from IE...  In fact, I think they're going to loose
>users.

If I'm not mistaken, it's skinnable (or maybe I'm thinking of
Mozilla).  In any case, I believe that a growing number of people will
use it by default (if the backend is better than NS4.x), unless
Microsoft ports IE to Linux (it wouldn't be that hard, actually, as they
already have Solaris and HPUX versions).

Or unless some of the other browsers (Opera et al) get significantly
better.  Lynx/w3m isn't for everybody.  :)

Bill
--
"I couldn't give him advice in business and he couldn't give me
advice in technology." --Linus Torvalds, about why he wouldn't