Bill Jonas on Sat, 8 Apr 2000 10:13:36 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Linux on SPARCstation 1+

Has anybody done it?  I'll be acquiring the use of one of these machines
as a personal server.  I've not seen it yet, so I don't know how much
RAM and disk it has.  More than likely it'll have SunOS/Solaris already
on it, but I want to run free software on it.  My first thought was,
"Well, NetBSD surely has a port."  Upon further inspection, it appears
that OpenBSD and Debian do, as well.

Anybody had any experiences with this?  Any thought, comments, etc, as
to which OS is the better choice?  I've heard Very Good Things about
BSD's TCP/IP stack (not to mention OpenBSD's security).

I'll be able to look at the machine and find out more info in about a
week (this assumes that I don't pester the gracious individual with
questions in the mean time).  :)

Bill
--
"I couldn't give him advice in business and he couldn't give me
advice in technology." --Linus Torvalds, about why he wouldn't