ziggy on Sat, 8 Apr 2000 15:33:42 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Linux on SPARCstation 1+

> Has anybody done it?  I'll be acquiring the use of one of these machines
> as a personal server.

An SS1+ is a pretty wimpy box.  I remember 486Dx2-66's being faster when
running Linux 1.0.

Of course, it's still an interesting (and functional) box.

> Anybody had any experiences with this?  Any thought, comments, etc, as
> to which OS is the better choice?  I've heard Very Good Things about
> BSD's TCP/IP stack (not to mention OpenBSD's security).

I know some people running OpenBSD on old SPARC boxen.  I hear nothing
but rave reviews and Odes to Joy.  [pun intended ;-)]

Z.