Bill Jonas on Sat, 8 Apr 2000 14:45:31 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Netscape 6 PR1

On Sat, 8 Apr 2000, Tom Joyce wrote:

>I did have one problem using the back button, I tried
>going back three pages once and it just shut down and
>disappeared.

Back and Forward are two parts of the interface that I will say really
suck.  Unlike every other modern browser, you can only move one page at
a time.  I don't know if this is correctable by skins or not.

I fear to tread here, but MS has already ported IE to two other Unices.
It absolutely *can't* be more than trivially difficult to port it to
Linux.  I prefer not to run proprietary software, but IE is *the* web
browser.  Here's a thought: I *think* the DOJ has already said that they
won't break up MS or force it to open the Windows source (don't quote
me, though).  Since the original charges stem from the bundling of IE
and Windows, why not open IE?  That would be great; one could have the
best of both worlds, then.  Truthfully, I feel that someone who says NS4
is better than IE5 isn't being truthful with themselves.  Except for a
couple of UI quirks that bug me...

Anyway, the PR of NS6 on windows looked remarkably similar to, oh, M13
on Linux.  :)  If the code isn't streamlined before the final release,
IE'll still be better.  It GPFd on me at little provocation.  Granted,
it didn't bring down the whole OS like an IE crash can, but I rebooted
anyway, as a precautionary measure.  I've got to try NS6 on Linux.

Bill
--
"I couldn't give him advice in business and he couldn't give me
advice in technology." --Linus Torvalds, about why he wouldn't