Michael C. Toren on Sun, 23 Apr 2000 13:38:41 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Ethernet selection switchbox?

> My parents are visiting, and I showed them the Telocity pages about
> their deal on DSL.  Since it's always on (and they run a "more popular"
> operating system ;) ), it's more vulnerable to crackers.  So my dad
> asked me if there's such a thing as a switch to turn it off.  I said I
> wasn't sure; you could definitely unplug the cable, but I'm thinking
> that there has to be a more elegant solution.  Anybody know of a switch
> you can connect inline for an ethernet connection that will effectively
> "turn off" ethernet?  I was also thinking that if there's such a thing
> as an ethernet switchbox (like for printers or monitors/keyboards), it
> could be used in the same way; just don't connect another cable to the
> "B" connector.

I don't believe such a device exists, but an easy workaround would be to
simply plug the ethernet hub into a lightswitch.  If you're that concerned,
though, building a Linux firewall out of an old 486 box is probably a better
solution :)

-mct