Bill Jonas on Mon, 24 Apr 2000 14:43:01 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Ethernet selection switchbox?

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, Michael C. Toren wrote:

>I don't believe such a device exists, but an easy workaround would be to
>simply plug the ethernet hub into a lightswitch.  If you're that concerned,
>though, building a Linux firewall out of an old 486 box is probably a better
>solution :)

Thanks for the info.  It just so happens that they have an old
486DX4/120 (it's their current machine) and they're getting a new
computer.  They've been debating about whether they should give it to me
(since I've touched/upgraded most of the stuff in there now) or my
sister (who doesn't have a computer yet) or what.  I've mentioned the
possibility that I could install Linux and configure a firewall for them
if they get broadband access (even though I'd like to have it myself
<g>) if they want me to do that.

They're also building a house right now, and I'm in the process of
convincing them that wiring the house with Cat5 while it's going up is a
Good Idea.  ;)  If anybody's interested, there's a tutorial (aimed at
wiring an existing house) at the ILUG website, www.linux.ie.

Bill
--
(Clever, funny, and/or witty comment goes here.)
Harry Browne for President:      http://www.harrybrowne2000.org/