Jon Nelson on Mon, 24 Apr 2000 13:12:53 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] relaying email

Tom Joyce wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is relaying email the same as forwarding email? Someone is using my system
> to relay email. I have shut down sendmail at the moment and working on
> preventing relaying. I was wondering though, if I have a couple names that
> forward to another domain will those be affected?
>
> What I mean is I have a few domains on my system. A couple of the incomming
> email addresses will come into my machine with different names and then be
> forwarded to my ISP so I get all my mail at one place.
>
> The second part of my question is network related, does anyone know how I
> can limit the amount of outgoing mail? The system is primarily a web server
> but a small amount of email comes though on port 25 and then is forwarded on
> to me. The amount of email incoming may vary each day but going back out is
> usually quite small and I was wondering if I can limit what goes out.
>
> Tom

As far as this person "relaying" email through your server, if this person is
not authorized to do so that is a criminal offense in most states and
definitely in PA.  You should contact your local police department or call the
State Police Computer Crime Unit at 610-918-2454.

Jon