Greg Lopp on Wed, 26 Apr 2000 13:38:39 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Re: [PLUG] the ¡§halt¡¨ user, in mandrake7.

Vale Kenny wrote:

> Ok, I'm not quite sure I understand the problem, so I'm going to give my
> understanding of the problem, and try to answer it.

Yeah, same here.....

> On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:48:17 ChinFung wrote:
> > i am using linux mandrake 7 now, they have a build in user called ¡§halt¡¨,
> > it¡¦s shell is setted to /sbin/halt,

Mandrake 7 installs with the user named "halt", whose shell is set to
/sbin/halt.  The result should be that when user halt logs in, the system starts
to shutdown (or init 0).

> i used the command ¡§logout¡¨ to logout
> > to the login process. i typed halt and i setted the password, to nothing

ChinFung set "halt"'s password to <blank>.  His problem is that when he logs out
of his regular session, returns to the login screen and tries to login as
halt....

> so
> > i press enter in password and the few sentense say something, i can¡¦t see
> > what they are saying but i just can¡¦t shutdown the computer, that come back
> > to the login process with the big duck on there and the pervious screen was
> > cleared.

Some text briefly gets thrown onto the screen and then the screen clears and
returns to the original login (which I guess has an image of Tux or a Mandrake
logo which involes a duck.)  The text says something about not being allowed to
shutdown the computer but is gone too quickly to read fully.....

I'm going to assume that the text is the same that any regular user would see if
they tried to call /sbin/halt.  Only the root user will be able to successfully
halt the system.  There are a number of ways that a regular user could gain root
access and call halt.....

Would a simple script like
#!/bin/bash
sudo /sbin/halt

do the trick?  I don't use sudo, but if you had a script that would get root
privs and call /sbin/halt, you could set that script to be user halt's shell to
do this.