Vale Kenny on Wed, 26 Apr 2000 09:43:06 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Re: [PLUG] the ¡§halt¡¨ user, in mandrake7.

Ok, I'm not quite sure I understand the problem, so I'm going to give my
understanding of the problem, and try to answer it.
there's a user whose shell is /sbin/halt.
you are trying to set this users password to <blank>
whenever you attempt to login as the user, the system reboots.

Ok, everytime you try to login as the user, the login process attempts
to run the shell for the user logging in.  in this case the login
process runs the /sbin/halt command, consequently rebooting the computer
(try running the halt command as another user, it'll do the same thing).

the purpose of this account is just that, to cause the system to reboot,
so if the thing is totally locked, someone can login with the user halt,
and bounce the system.
The only way youre going to change the password of user halt will be to
so as root, or ideally "sudo" .  At the prompt, type in
passwd halt
and it will walk you through the process.
really, I think this user is a bad idea altogether, but hey to each his
own.

I hope this helps..
Peace,
Vale