Michael Leone on Wed, 26 Apr 2000 08:57:21 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Install RH 6.1 on a 17G drive - UPDATE

From: "Bill Jonas" <bj@netaxs.com>

> On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 turgon@pil.net wrote:
>
> >Update: I redid it tonight, and it *did* finish. God knows why, but it
took
> >an hour to format the drive. Makes me a bit leery, but still ...
>
> When I got my new drive, I allocated about 12 or so gigs for /, and it
> took probably around 40 minutes or so (maybe more) to format and error
> check.  So don't feel like the Lone Ranger over there.  :)

Thanks; glad it's not just me. Altho I seem to remember Windows formatting
this drive a whole lot faster, back when I used it for just Windows. Anyways

Finally got it all to boot - I used a boot diskette, and had to use fdisk to
go mark the / partition as bootable, and not the /boot partition (actually,
I think I tried to mark both - I mis-remember; it was kinda late last
night). Then LILO came up like a champ (actually, I installed to the root
superblock of this drive - my 2nd - because I use Partition Magic
w/BootMagic already, to handle my Win98, WinNT, and Win2K partitions).

Q: what is a good partitioning scheme? For example, I allocated 8G to /, 6
to /usr, 2G to /tmp, rest to swap. Is that an efficient use of all that
space, or would it have been better to give more disk space to /usr than to
/?

(since I haven't done anything with this drive yet, and I now know how to do
it, it won't be a big deal to change the allocations, if necessary. I'll
just do it right before I go to bed, and finish it up the next morning)