Aarune J. Oracle on Wed, 26 Apr 2000 09:48:12 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Install RH 6.1 on a 17G drive - UPDATE

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Michael Leone wrote:

:Thanks; glad it's not just me. Altho I seem to remember Windows formatting
:this drive a whole lot faster, back when I used it for just Windows. Anyways

Windows dont do all the things that formatting and error checking with
ext2fs does :)

:Q: what is a good partitioning scheme? For example, I allocated 8G to /, 6
:to /usr, 2G to /tmp, rest to swap. Is that an efficient use of all that
:space, or would it have been better to give more disk space to /usr than to
:/?

That looks like an ok setup, you do want to have some space in / because
it is holding /home, and you might want to keep things in your homedir.

2 Gig for /tmp is alot, but hey you can dump alot more there now, and use
it for what it was meant for :)

:
:(since I haven't done anything with this drive yet, and I now know how to do
:it, it won't be a big deal to change the allocations, if necessary. I'll
:just do it right before I go to bed, and finish it up the next morning)

Just think of what you plan on doing with it, is it going to be a server?
or is it going to be a workstation.  for workstations you want more space
in /home for all the stuff you pump into there over time :)  But all in
all you should have enough space to last you for a while.  (Untill you
fill the drive with mp3's)

--
-Rune

Operating-system software is the program that orchestrates all the basic
functions of a computer.

		-- The Wall Street Journal, Tuesday, September 15, 1987, page 40

Windows 2000 can be called a parasite because it keeps growing, consuming its host's resources and spreading across networks