Steven M. Castellotti on Wed, 26 Apr 2000 13:11:03 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Re: PLUG digest, Vol 1 #486 - 18 msgs

> I just got Q3A for Linux (the Loki port) for my birthday, and I realized
> from looking at the box specs that I won't be able to play it with my
> current video "card" (quoted because it's mobo-integrated).
>
> Any suggestions for an inexpensive PCI OpenGL card?  (The mobo graphics
> are AGP, but I don't have an actual AGP slot (at least, I don't *think*
> so).)  Preferable ones for which the driver/X-server source is available
> (actually, *much* preferable).

	If you want the best performance under Q3A with a PCI OpenGL card,
go with the VooDoo 3 - 2000 PCI from 3dfx, hands down. I had a 4-year-old
PPro200 with 128 megs of RAM playing Q3A passibly well with the card, and
was so impressed that I bought another, identical card for my gf's box, a
Celeron 500 from HP (with a lousy i810 chipset built in, much like your
system). The card should be somewhere around $80-$90 at any local
retailer, possibly cheaper if you're shopping online, and the performance
is excellent for both games and X.

	As for the driver/X-server source, I'm 99% sure that the driver
source is out there, and although I'm not sure that the X-Server is as
well, I *think* that it is. Anyone who knows for certain, please feel free
to correct me.

	Someone else mentioned the Matrox G200 - definately an impressive
card, and the source is definately available, but the performance under
Q3A doesn't touch the VooDoo 3's, particularly on older systems.

	I would recommend a short trip around the various sites, see if
you can find the source for the VooDoo 3, and if you're satisfied on that
end, you won't be sorry with the card.

-SC