rscudder on Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:04:44 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] UPS - need help setting up auto shutdown?

                    "Aarune J. Oracle"
                    <linux@fsckit.com>          To:     plug@lists.nothinbut.net
                    Sent by:                    cc:
                    plug-admin@lists.not        Subject:     Re: [PLUG] UPS - need help setting up auto shutdown?
                    hinbut.net

                    04/26/2000 02:26 PM
                    Please respond to
                    plug

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 rscudder@annance.com wrote:

:: I am running RedHat 6.0 and need to set up this box to shutdown in case
::of a power out.
::The UPS unit is a APC Back-UPS 400, which I don't think has "Smart"

:I dont see any listing for the APC Back-UPS 400 but there is a APC
:Back-UPS Office 400 (there is a difference)  The office 400 does not have
:any smart technology.  If you look at the back of the backup on the plate,
:there should be a part number, if you give it to me, I can get more info
:about it.  If it does have smart technology, then you can download the
:linux software from http://www.apcc.com.  But I think you need a special
:cord, I tried standard serial to serial but it never talked correctly to
:the APC.  Let me know and I can dig up some information on it, You may be
:able to add a smart card.

The model number on the back is BK400.  I am aware of 3 basic styles one
being contained in a flat, black or dark gray box (not smart), another
being
the Smart-UPS type (which is used here with the servers), and the last
being
the type I am using (also have one of these at home which is labeled
Back-UPS 2 0 0).

About the cable... I have the one that came with the unit and yes, the pin
outs are not the same as a standard serial cable.  You can find the pinouts
in the UPS-HowTo which explains how to make the cable from scratch.

waiting on you're reply...  Thanks for helping out!

Roger

p.s please let me know if this Notes client is polluting the list with HTML
crap
and I will find another way to edit and send my mail.