Kevin Brosius on Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:24:37 -0400 (EDT)

LILO install (was Re: [PLUG] Install RH 6.1 on a 17G drive - UPDATE)

Luis wrote:
> ----Original Message Follows----
> ><snip>
> >Now, LILO is hanging on LI .... <sigh> Well, at least I made a boot
> >disk, so I can go in and fix it. Soon as I remember how  :-)
> ><snip>
>
> Actually, I have this same problem as well, but it only happens in certain
> cases.  On normal restart, LILO works fine.  But, if I recompile the kernel
> and put the new bzImage into /boot, LILO hangs on LI...  Then, I usually
> have to put in my boot disk and reboot the machine.  After that, LILO works
> fine when I reboot without a boot disk.
>
> It's very quirky behavior.  Has anyone seen this before?  Do you know what's
> causing this?
>
> Thanks,
> Luis

Yes, that's actually expected.  When /etc/lilo runs, it installs the
boot loader with a 'hard coded' location or offset (I don't recall
which) to your kernel image in bzImage.  Any time you replace bzImage
(or decide to use another kernel image of any name) you need to run
/etc/lilo again to re-write the boot loader.

Otherwise you can expect to see LI...  every time you overwrite/replace
bzImage (or zImage or whatever you've named your kernel.)

The LILO docs have a extensive description of boot loading, if you want
to learn more.

Some of the kernel targets will run /etc/lilo for you automatically, for
example 'make zlilo' ought to install a zImage and run 'etc/lilo/'.

--
Kevin Brosius