rscudder on Wed, 26 Apr 2000 17:24:39 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] UPS - need help setting up auto shutdown?

                    "Aarune J. Oracle"
                    <linux@fsckit.com>          To:     plug@lists.nothinbut.net
                    Sent by:                    cc:
                    plug-admin@lists.not        Subject:     Re: [PLUG] UPS - need help setting up auto shutdown?
                    hinbut.net

                    04/26/2000 03:31 PM
                    Please respond to
                    plug

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 rscudder@annance.com wrote:

:I have looked in every bit of documentation I have on APC's, I sent in an
:email to my Rep at APC, but he usually takes a few days to get back to me.
:But I did see in a few pieces of the documentation, is that the PowerChute
:software will talk to the Backups.  So it is worth a try.  And the
:software is free.  I think some of it is opensource too :)

I thought I had the cable but it seems all the cables here are different
than
the one the config script calls out for.  I am assuming they ARE different
or why would they have different ones for each unit.  So... when I try to
run the install script it fails the communication test to ttyS0... I tried
ttyS1 also but no luck.  Looks like I'll have to contact them by email.  I
noticed that the 400 is not even listed in the products page... It must be
really old.  :-/

:I think the last one is what you may just want, as it just shuts things
:down.  If you are running Apache I think you need the Apache supplement,
:but I would go with the PowerChute Plus, it will give you all the stats
:you need or want to know about the backup.  It will also provide
:Diagnostics and tell you if the battery is doing well.

I got the PowerChute Plus for UNIX which has been tested on RedHat 6.0
It's quite well done.  The config script looks great... shame I can't get
hardware talking.

:I hope this helps, and if I can actually get any specs on this model I
:will let you know more.

Thanks... I'd like to see them, because there are no docs for the BK400
here.

Thanks for the help!
Roger