Aarune J. Oracle on Wed, 26 Apr 2000 15:32:23 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] UPS - need help setting up auto shutdown?

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000 rscudder@annance.com wrote:

:The model number on the back is BK400.  I am aware of 3 basic styles one
:being contained in a flat, black or dark gray box (not smart), another
:being
:the Smart-UPS type (which is used here with the servers), and the last
:being
:the type I am using (also have one of these at home which is labeled
:Back-UPS 2 0 0).

Yea I had a 200 for the longest time, I had to replace the battery once,
but they are nice.

:
:About the cable... I have the one that came with the unit and yes, the pin
:outs are not the same as a standard serial cable.  You can find the pinouts
:in the UPS-HowTo which explains how to make the cable from scratch.

I have looked in every bit of documentation I have on APC's, I sent in an
email to my Rep at APC, but he usually takes a few days to get back to me.
But I did see in a few pieces of the documentation, is that the PowerChute
software will talk to the Backups.  So it is worth a try.  And the
software is free.  I think some of it is opensource too :)

Powershute plus v4.5.2 for linux

http://www.apcc.com/tools/download/sw_kit.cfm?sku=sdw31

PowerChute Network Shutdown v2.0 (For RedHat)

http://www.apcc.com/tools/download/sw_kit.cfm?sku=sdw35

APC Simple Signaling Daemon

http://www.apcc.com/tools/download/sw_kit.cfm?sku=sdw32

I think the last one is what you may just want, as it just shuts things
down.  If you are running Apache I think you need the Apache supplement,
but I would go with the PowerChute Plus, it will give you all the stats
you need or want to know about the backup.  It will also provide
Diagnostics and tell you if the battery is doing well.

But then again I have not used it on Linux yet, but I would assume that it
is the same setup as the 95/NT/2000 software.  APC seems to keep things
consistaint.

I hope this helps, and if I can actually get any specs on this model I
will let you know more.

I Hope this helps.

--
-Rune

Operating-system software is the program that orchestrates all the basic
functions of a computer.

		-- The Wall Street Journal, Tuesday, September 15, 1987, page 40

Windows 2000 can be called a parasite because it keeps growing, consuming its host's resources and spreading across networks