Bill Jonas on Thu, 27 Apr 2000 01:37:45 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Inexpensive PCI OpenGL video adapter?

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Bill Jonas wrote:

>On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Trevor J Martin wrote:
>
><snip>
>>http://www.linuxgames.com/articles/linux3dcards/
><snip>
>>http://www.linuxgames.com/articles/linux3dcards/page8.shtml
><snip>
>>  I hope this has helped you,
>
>Many thanks.  I've not read all the way through it yet, but it looks
>veeeery informative.

Possibly even more useful than I first thought.  I never really resolved
the X problems I was having with my ATI 3D Rage IIc (that happens to be
integrated onto the motherboard); I just kind of glossed it over with
the kernel framebuffer device and the XFBDev X server.  Looking at the
first link (page 1 of the review):

"Be sure to test whether AGP is enabled on your system; for Red Hat 6.2
the code is in the kernel to enable AGP, but there is an error that
prevents it from working. I had to fix that error in a configuration
file and then recompile the kernel. If you are using an older kernel or
different distribution, upgrade to 2.2.13 or 2.2.14 and use the patch
provided at the Utah-GLX site."

Now, I'm pretty sure that the 3D Rage IIc doesn't use Utah-GLX (you
never know), but it *is* an AGP card.  I'll have to take a look at it
when I get home.  (Obviously, if AGP support wasn't there in my stuff,
that would cause some funky-looking displays...)  Now, if it only
supported OpenGL, I'd be all set and wouldn't need to buy another
card right now...

Bill
--
(Clever, funny, and/or witty comment goes here.)
Harry Browne for President:      http://www.harrybrowne2000.org/