Darxus on Thu, 27 Apr 2000 11:43:21 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] html conformance (3.2)

FYI, I'm checking these pages conformance to html standards at
http://validator.w3.org

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Walt Mankowski wrote:

> What's so bad about putting <b> and </b> tags on every line?  Define a
> little keyboard macro in emacs and you can do the whole thing in under
> a minute.

It's inefficient.  It works to just put one <b></b> pair around the whole
thing, but I have to do one on each & every line, just to conform to the
standard ?

But this appears to be my only option to conform to html 3.2, so it's
probably what I'll do.

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Michael W. Ryan wrote:

> An alternate is to apply the style to the list itself.  Just define the
> following style in your <style> element or styleshett:
>
>    .boldface {font-weight: bold;}
>
> And then just use it on any element you want to have bold, i.e.:
>
>    <ul class="boldface">
>    <li>Bleh</li>
>    </ul>

This looks pretty good, but I believe this stuff is not part of html 3.2 ?

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Bill Jonas wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Michael W. Ryan wrote:
>
> >   <li>Bleh</li>
>
> Is the closing tag necessary (or required, or suggested) in HTML 3.2 for
> the <li> element?  I wasn't aware that it was.

Nope, I don't use it on my stuff that successfully passed the HTML 3.2
conformance test.
        There is no fine line between genius and insanity.