Vettese, Nick A on Fri, 28 Apr 2000 09:02:54 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [PLUG] Install RH 6.1 on a 17G drive

I have installed RH6.1 twice on systems with more than 13 gigs of space, and
never had a problem.  The first one I did was on an HP Netserver LPr, and
that had 9gig and 18gig drives.  The second just had a 13gig drive, and
there were no problems on either.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Joyce [mailto:tgj@snip.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2000 6:01 PM
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Install RH 6.1 on a 17G drive

I had a problem with a 8+ gig drive I used on my own system. It was actually
a BIOS problem that my system would not recognize the size of the drive. I
formatted as you said,installed software but it was allways smaller than it
should of been. The disk came with a utility that wrote to the disk. {that I
didn't use at first while getting all the size errors} after I installed the
utility, which I think is called EZ-BIOS but I am not sure, it just worked.
I have used my disk for Windows and Linux and at the monent it is split
50/50 with both Operating systems and LILO starting Linux at boot time.

I recommend using fdisk to set up your disk, I have never liked Disk Druid
but thats just a personal opinion.

Tom

I'm having a bit of trouble installing RH 6.1 on a 17G drive. I know that
Linux still has some problems with the / partition being within the 8G
boundary. When I install using just 1 partition (/), sized to 8G, everything
installs fine. Except that I have half a disk not used.

So I tried making a 10M /boot partition (as the first partition on the
disk); 7G / partition; (to keep both /boot and / within the first 8G) and
the rest as /usr. No go - looked like it was trying to format it all, but
never finished.

Thoughts anyone?