rscudder on Fri, 5 May 2000 10:27:21 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] testing outlets (computers.)

> "William H. Magill" wrote:
> >
> > Anybody with Ball-and-tube wiring, wiring prior to about 1940, or
2-wire
> > stuff installed up through at least the 1960s, is in deep dodo when it
> > comes to consumer electronics, let alone computers. [Anything less than
> > 100Amp service probably falls into this category.]
> >

> Another point about this era of wiring... Steel. Take a look at the
> actual metal of the wire. If it is silver ALL THE WAY THROUGH then it
> MUST BE REPLACED! (all the way back to the breaker panel if necessary)
> Steel wire was approved around WW2. It is a MAJOR safety hazard as the
> slightest nick in the metel will eventually break the wire over time and
> possibly cause a fire. Steel wire was used into the 60's and was even
> used in some 100Amp and 200Amp service setups. Upgrades can also still
> have the steel wire as a quick way of upgrading was to simply replace
> the fuse box with the new panel.

Steel??  I know that alot of aluminum was used in the 60's and that it
should be replaced, but this is the first I ever heard if steel wire
being used for electrical wiring.  I was under the impression that only
non-ferrous metals were ever used for home wiring.

Roger Scudder
Developer\Consultant
Annance Consulting
Wayne, PA, USA