Bill Jonas on Fri, 5 May 2000 15:23:00 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] Sun Info

Is there a good place to get some kind of documentation about old Sun
SPARCstations?  I'm aware of sunhelp.org, but they're a little short
when it comes to 1+ and IPC machines.

What I'm actually thinking of doing is running the machine (an IPC)
headless, since monitors and such are a bit more than I want to pay
right now (even on eBay; I've been scoping them for a couple
weeks).  I've heard that it's simple to do this over the serial port,
but I don't know where to start looking for docs (sunhelp.org, again,
doesn't have info on it that I can see; I'd be thrilled if someone
proved me incorrect on this) so that I can RTFM.  Can you just connect a
null-modem cable between the Sun and the PC?  Does minicom work for
this?  What kind of communication parameters? etc....

Incidentally, there's an eBay auction for a case of 12 drives (~400 megs
each) for SPARC up at
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320293734 -- I'd
get them myself, but I want something a little larger than
that.  Incidentally, the asking price is $45.00, no bids have been put
in yet, and the auction ends in about 4 hours.  (Drives are SCSI-2, but
it doesn't say how many pins.  Couldn't find it at the link to Seagate,
either, but maybe I didn't look hard enough.)

Bill
--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?
That's a city in Bosnia.  Right?
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc on the intuitiveness of commands.)

Harry Browne for President:  http://www.harrybrowne2000.org/
Visit me at                  http://www.netaxs.com/~bj/