Michael C. Toren on Fri, 5 May 2000 15:33:15 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Sun Info

> What I'm actually thinking of doing is running the machine (an IPC)
> headless, since monitors and such are a bit more than I want to pay
> right now (even on eBay; I've been scoping them for a couple
> weeks).  I've heard that it's simple to do this over the serial port,
> but I don't know where to start looking for docs (sunhelp.org, again,
> doesn't have info on it that I can see; I'd be thrilled if someone
> proved me incorrect on this) so that I can RTFM.  Can you just connect a
> null-modem cable between the Sun and the PC?  Does minicom work for
> this?  What kind of communication parameters? etc....

For an IPC, you're going to need to purchase a Sun serial adapter.  One
end looks like a PS/2 connector, the other has a DB25.  You should be
able to pick one up on eBay for under $5.  Then, all you need is a serial
cross-over cable (also commonly referred to as null-modem adapter), and a
working serial port on a PC.  Plug the PS/2 end of the adapter into the
SerialA port of your IPC, fire up your communications program on your PC,
set the serial parameters to 9600 / 8N1, and boot :-)

-mct