darxus on Wed, 10 May 2000 11:05:49 -0400 (EDT)

[PLUG] inconveniently broke a sun box

Basically, I need to edit /etc/passwd, and I can't get to it.

On a Linux box, I'd download an image of a boot floppy, boot off of it,
mount the root partion, edit /etc/passwd, reboot, and be done.

How do I do this with a sun box ?  (sparc 20 running solaris 2.7)

To make the problem more interesting, the thing does not have a floppy or
cdrom drive (I'd originally assumed it did).

I know suns have some kind of initial mini operatign system thing that you
can boot to.  Would that have any chance of mounting a partition ?

Do sparc 20s have standard floppy controllers ?  Would it be possible to
plug in a normal floppy drive, get a bootable floppy image somewhere, use
dd on a linux box (or rawrite on a windows box) to write the image, boot
off that floppy, and edit /etc/passwd ?  How might I obtain such an image.

What filesystem do suns running solaris 2.7 use ?  Is it something that a
linux boot disk could mount readwrite ?  That could be particularly
useful.  If you can plug a normal floppy drive into a sparc 20.

The inconvenient part of this is that I have today off to deal with
paperwork related to this house I'm buying.

If you can provide any hints at all, please do so here on this list.  I'm
going to be giving John the url to the archive so he can see any
responces, and I expect to be back home around 1:30.

Thanks.