No Name Provided on Sat, 13 May 2000 10:32:31 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Slashdot Vs. Microsoft

Does anybody here have that .exe?  or is it still on the Microsoft site?

-jim

Mike Cathcart wrote:

> The agreement is a click-through type thing. You download an exe which
> displays the agreement. If you click OK, it extracts the postscript file.
> However, some people realized that if you open the exe with WinZip it allows
> you to just extract the .ps file, which means that you never agreed to
> anything and can post it wherever you want (or so they argue). The actual
> text of the ps contains some legal speak, but I'm not sure if it applies if
> you don't agree to it somehow.
> Anyway, some people posted this workaround on /., and that's another reason
> Micros~1 wants the comments removed...
>
> >From: "Michael Leone" <turgon@pil.net>
> >To: <plug@lists.nothinbut.net>
> >Subject: Re: [PLUG] Slashdot Vs. Microsoft
> >Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 15:54:32 -0400
> >
> >I'd say overwhelmed. MS can't have the entire site shut down, at least not
> >that quickly. Conspiracy/world domination theories aside.
> >
> >Altho, from the article, it *looks* like Slashdot (or whoever posted the
> >details of the MS version of Kerebus) was in violation of the licensing
> >agreement by posting. Assuming that "To access the information, though,
> >users must first agree to a disclaimer that states in part, "The
> >Specification is confidential information and a trade secret of Microsoft.
> >Therefore, you may not disclose the Specification to anyone else..." " is
> >true and correct, and that what was disclosed was actually part of the
> >Specification.

begin:vcard
n:Sulfare Jr;James
tel;home:610-838-7694
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http:\\www.solinkit.com
org:SoLinkIt;IT
adr:;;Post Office Box 1953;Bethlehem ;PA;18016;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:jsulfare@yahoo.com
title:CTI Engineer/Management
end:vcard