ray beckler on Fri, 19 May 2000 00:09:35 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Can't write to windows side of the disk

One more option for mounting dos partitions..

I'm using redhat 6.0 on my own machine, no one else uses it so security
is not a problem for me.

So, if you're not concerned about security, try this:

/dev/hda1	/dosc	vfat	 user,exec,rw,noatime,umask=0000

"user" allows any user to mount/unmount the filesystem.  The "noatime"
option seemed to speed access time. "rw", well you know what that does.
"exec", is needed to execute binaries, you may need it for wine.
"umask=0000" seems to be the key item here, that results in the mount
point having rwx permissions for all, otherwise the permissions default
to the umask of the mounting process.

I do occasionally get "cp: preserving permissions for /dosc/filename:
operation not permitted" when copying a file to a dos partition but it
does not affect the copy process.

I use samba and share all my dos partitions with my laptop without
problems.

I've used FSDEXT2 Version 0.17b to access my linux partitions from dos.
It works, but on my system (p166, 96meg ram), it's slow.

ray