matty on Sat, 20 May 2000 07:15:24 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] message log identd question

>While looking through my log files I came across a few entries that look
>similar to this:
>
>May 16 00:22:25 Orion identd[18589]: Connection from
>wierdlmpc.msci.memphis.edu
>
>What is someone connecting to here with identd[18589] ? Is this a telnet
>connection?
>
>Tom

<snipped from man identd>
identd is a server which implements the TCP/IP proposed
standard IDENT user identification protocol as specified
in the RFC 1413 document.
<and so on and such, give it a read if you havn't yet>

most commonly made use of for IRC, it can be used for other services
mail, telnet, ftp etc
it's basically harmless authenticating between hosts

as far as the host :
wierdlmpc.msci.memphis.edu
it is serving http (I'm way too nosy)

			Matt

		New York's alright,  If you like saxaphones
				--FEAR