Bill Jonas on Mon, 29 May 2000 18:29:27 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] "Distro" advocates

On Mon, 29 May 2000, Jason Costomiris wrote:

>On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 11:30:11AM -0400, Bill Jonas wrote:
>: And not to start a flamefest or anything, but is there an rpm equivalent
>: to 'apt-cache search text_string'?
>
>You want to use rpmfind for that...

Well, here's the deal.  rdate is not installed on my SuSE 6.3 system.  I
tried grepping the '/ls-lR.gz' file on the first CD, but no dice.  I
can't seem to figure out where they put it, if they included it at all.

Ah, nifty.  I just used that command.  (I thought at first you meant the
website itself.)  It looks like the --apropos option will do the same as
an apt-cache search.  Very cool.  It found the package and offered to
download it for me.  All that's left is to install it.

Cool.  Done without a hitch.  (Although I have to throw in that I had to
manually install it from /tmp..... :P <g>)

Very nifty, thanks for the tip!

Bill
--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?             | "Linux means never having to delete
That's a city in Bosnia. Right?    |  your love mail." -- Don Marti
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc  |  http://www.netaxs.com/~bj/
on the intuitiveness of commands.) |  http://www.harrybrowne.org/