Bill Jonas on Mon, 29 May 2000 18:58:35 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Installfest

On Mon, 29 May 2000, Jason Costomiris wrote:

>I unearthed my RedHat Mother's Day + 0.1 CD while I was recently moving.
>Anyone want to play around with the old RPP format?  Yes, that's RPP, not
>RPM. :)  I also found RedHat 2.1 as well.

Interesting.  :)  FWIW, I downloaded ISOs of SuSE 6.4, the latest
TurboLinux, Caldera, and a couple others, as well as FreeBSD 4.0.  I
intend in the near future to assemble a Debian potato ISO, as well.  If
somebody brings a CD burner... :)  I can also mount the ISOs for network
installs, too, I suppose.

A couple of ideas have been floated about what sort of venue we should
hold the installfest at... here's my takes...

VENUE: Library
PROS: Usually lots of tables; lots of space (usually) to set up, spread
out, and do work; members of the public will be there
CONS: Libraries generally require quiet, so we might jeopardize our
presence with our conversation; members of the public not necessarily
the 'computing public'

VENUE: Computer store (my idea)
PROS: People in a computer store are generally interested in computers,
right?; convenient for getting supplies and stuff people forgot
CONS: Ones that I've seen wouldn't generally have enough tables for us
(if they cleared space for us, it would interfere with the sales staff)

VENUE: PLUG member's house
PROS: Assuming enough space, we could basically do whatever the house's
owner allows
CONS: Since it's not public, it would be unlikely to generate interest
from people not already interested enough to show up

VENUE: Bookstore (what SVLUG uses)
PROS: Tables (if a B&N or Borders)?; would probably be more receptive to
hosting it as they would be likely to sell at least a few books; public
location; should have enough space for us
CONS: Quiet? (ie, the library thing)

VENUE: Computer show
PROS: Computer-interested crowd; space (possibly)
CONS: Admission fee; confusion created by all the computer show noise

...and that's about all I can think of right now.  If I didn't think of
something with one of the possible venues, or if I missed an interesting
venue altogether, speak up.  To me, it seems (at this point) like the
best venue would be a bookstore, preferably a bookstore next to a
computer store, or a bookstore specializing in computer books.  There's
a Borders in Springfield that's right across the street from a small
computer store or two, but this brings up the issue of geography again
(which is no small matter).

Another thought: Maybe a university?  You'd have many of the advantages
(along with some of the attendant disadvantages, or course) of a few of
the above.  Maybe we could say it's the "PLUG Installfest hosted by Foo
University CompSci Dept" and get a staff member to be there (for proper
facilities access).

I don't know.  Just a few ideas.

Bill
--
>Ever heard of .cshrc?             | "Linux means never having to delete
That's a city in Bosnia. Right?    |  your love mail." -- Don Marti
(Discussion in comp.os.linux.misc  |  http://www.netaxs.com/~bj/
on the intuitiveness of commands.) |  http://www.harrybrowne.org/