Michael Leone on Wed, 31 May 2000 16:28:32 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] DSL w/dynamic IP question

> A non-profit organization[*] of which I am a board member (and,
> therefore, default computer help) is getting DSL. Unfortunately, they
> ordered through Bell Atlantic and bellatlantic.net.

Me, too. But I'm planning on dumping them after the first month or so, and
switching to a local provider who:

a) doesn't use PPPOE
b) uses static IPs
c) has a clue :-)

FYI - snip.net. They use BA as a backbone for DSL, so I need BA in my life
for a while.

> 2. I have found very scant information on the web on how to do pppoe
> (or whatever it is they are foisting on us). Has anyone gotten this to
> work reliably? Is it *really* as reliable as plain ethernet to a box?
> The office is staffed by people who can't diagnose a pulled power
> cord, so restarting PPP is not an option.

Supposedly the Roaring Penguin software is supposed to make it easy and
transparent (http://www.roaringpenguin.com). My DSL isn't activated until
6/5, so I dunno. Plus, I plan to use LRP (Linux Router Project) as a
gateway/firewall - I found a version with PPPOE support.

> 3. Bell Atlantic tells me they will charge us something like $250 if
> we leave them (or bellatlantic.net), this representing what they claim
> is the subsidy on the DSL modem. If I have to, I have to, but I'm
> going to have trouble convincing the technical know-nothings that
> there's that much difference between the two. But there's my time,
> too....

They said something like that to me, too. Then I called again, and heard NO,
they don't. Presuming that you stay for the first free 30 days or so, they
won't charge you the remainder of the modem price.

My (future) ISP called for me, and got the same spiel - no charges for the
modem, IF you suffer with BA thru the first free month.
Specifically - "According to Bell Atlantic, you can sign up for Bell
Atlantic DSL, with Bell as the ISP and receive their promotional deal
($99.00 modem, and no set up fees). If you cancel with them within the first
30 days, you must return the modem. Now comes the interesting part - if you
cancel after 30 days, the modem is yours. If you want another ISP, they do
not charge you back for the remaining cost of the modem or the set up fees
you would have incurred if you went with another ISP in the first place.
They claim they are banking on the fact that you will be so pleased with
their service, you probably won't leave them."

Take that for what's it's worth - a few electrons swirling around in
cyberspace, not policies carved in stone. :-)

Like you, if I absolutely have to pay it, I will, and just chalk it up to
(painful) experience.

If you check the comp.dcom.dsl newsgroups, you'll find that the majority
opinion is that BA couldn't find it's ass with both hands, a flashlight,
roadmap, pack of bloodhounds and native Indian guides. My humble
description, based on my previous experiences with them as a dial-up
provider. :-)