William H. Magill on Wed, 31 May 2000 16:28:43 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] DSL w/dynamic IP question

>   3. Bell Atlantic tells me they will charge us something like $250 if
>   we leave them (or bellatlantic.net), this representing what they claim
>   is the subsidy on the DSL modem. If I have to, I have to, but I'm

???

Unless you got the modem for free. You paid for the modem in cash, up
front. And/or why should they [BA the tarrif company] charge you if you are
returning the modem to them? Unless the $250 is really from BA.net the
profit making company.... their reps do a very poor job of differentiating
between the two when you talk to them on the phone - they both use the
name Bell Atlantic.

Also, unless BA changed policies since December you've got a 30 day
cancellation privledge.

You can probably get them to let you go by telling them that you are
running Linux (or a Mac) and that therefore they don't support PPOE.
This was supposed to change in March... but didn't, so it might have by
now. (but I doubt it.)

BA was very bad back in Nov-January. They have been improving, but I don't
belive that they are even close to resolving most of their support
problems. They have been having rolling DSL outages again for the past 72
hours. (at least out of Evergreen.)

--
                        www.tru64unix.compaq.com
                              www.tru64.org

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill                          Senior Systems Administrator
Information Services and Computing (ISC)   University of Pennsylvania
Internet: magill@isc.upenn.edu             magill@acm.org
http://www.isc-net.upenn.edu/~magill/