jim wiegand on Wed, 31 May 2000 23:59:54 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] DSL w/dynamic IP question

I had BA tell me that Linux was unsupported and they refused to escalate my call. You will be on your own as far as hardware support goes. They don't care and they don't want to hear anybody complain.

-jim

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

A non-profit organization[*] of which I am a board member (and,
therefore, default computer help) is getting DSL. Unfortunately, they
ordered through Bell Atlantic and bellatlantic.net.

I'd bite the bullet and deal with the bad service for a while, but I'm
wary of the dynamic IP thing. I'm wondering if anyone here can help
me.

Here are my concerns, not necessarily prioritized:

1. For maintenance and helping them, I'd really like to be able to ssh
in. But I need to know an IP to do this. Yes, I could work around by
having a once-a-minute email go from them to home where I receive it
automatically, pull out the IP, and post that on a web site so I can
grab it whenever I want. But....

2. I have found very scant information on the web on how to do pppoe
(or whatever it is they are foisting on us). Has anyone gotten this to
work reliably? Is it *really* as reliable as plain ethernet to a box?
The office is staffed by people who can't diagnose a pulled power
cord, so restarting PPP is not an option.

2a. If yes, can you tell me how to do it, or point me somewhere?

3. Bell Atlantic tells me they will charge us something like $250 if
we leave them (or bellatlantic.net), this representing what they claim
is the subsidy on the DSL modem. If I have to, I have to, but I'm
going to have trouble convincing the technical know-nothings that
there's that much difference between the two. But there's my time,
too....

Ugh. Any and all help much appreciated.

For background:

 A. The line is installed. They have to do some soft of wiring, but
it's basically done.

 B. I'm planning on running a linux server as firewall/masquerade
box. This is the only thing in the office that will have to know that
DSL exists. Everything else, of course, will just see a LAN.

--
 Jeff Abrahamson
 610/270-4845

 (home email is jeff_abrahamson@purple.com)