Barry Spindler on Wed, 31 May 2000 22:17:39 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] DSL w/dynamic IP question

On Wed, May 31, 2000 at 03:57:12PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

> Here are my concerns, not necessarily prioritized:
>
> 1. For maintenance and helping them, I'd really like to be able to ssh
> in. But I need to know an IP to do this. Yes, I could work around by
> having a once-a-minute email go from them to home where I receive it
> automatically, pull out the IP, and post that on a web site so I can
> grab it whenever I want. But....

Try www.staticky.com. They give you a hostname under the staticky.com domain,
which can be updated to point to your dynamic IP with their client
software (for *NIX and Windoze). And, the service is free :)

	--Barry

> 2. I have found very scant information on the web on how to do pppoe
> (or whatever it is they are foisting on us). Has anyone gotten this to
> work reliably? Is it *really* as reliable as plain ethernet to a box?
> The office is staffed by people who can't diagnose a pulled power
> cord, so restarting PPP is not an option.
>
> 2a. If yes, can you tell me how to do it, or point me somewhere?
>
> 3. Bell Atlantic tells me they will charge us something like $250 if
> we leave them (or bellatlantic.net), this representing what they claim
> is the subsidy on the DSL modem. If I have to, I have to, but I'm
> going to have trouble convincing the technical know-nothings that
> there's that much difference between the two. But there's my time,
> too....
>
> Ugh. Any and all help much appreciated.
>
> For background:
>
>  A. The line is installed. They have to do some soft of wiring, but
> it's basically done.
>
>  B. I'm planning on running a linux server as firewall/masquerade
> box. This is the only thing in the office that will have to know that
> DSL exists. Everything else, of course, will just see a LAN.
>
> --
>  Jeff Abrahamson
>  610/270-4845
>  abrahj01@molbio.sbphrd.com
>
>  (home email is jeff_abrahamson@purple.com)
>

> * organization is the Bicycle Coalition

I never cheated an honest man, only rascals.  They wanted something for
nothing.  I gave them nothing for something.
		-- Joseph "Yellow Kid" Weil