Michael C. Toren on Wed, 31 May 2000 16:33:35 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] DSL w/dynamic IP question

> 2. I have found very scant information on the web on how to do pppoe
> (or whatever it is they are foisting on us). Has anyone gotten this to
> work reliably? Is it *really* as reliable as plain ethernet to a box?
> The office is staffed by people who can't diagnose a pulled power
> cord, so restarting PPP is not an option.
>
> 2a. If yes, can you tell me how to do it, or point me somewhere?

I've never used it, but the Debian pppoe package looks pretty straight
forward -- it's just one additional binary which the standard ppp daemon
communicates with via a pipe.  Here's an example ppp configuration file
included with the package:

	pty "pppoe -I eth0 -T 80"
	noipdefault
	defaultroute
	hide-password
	lcp-echo-interval 20
	lcp-echo-failure 3
	mtu 1492
	mru 2400
	noauth
	persist

If you're not using Debian, it looks like you can find a copy of the
upstream source at http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe.html, as well as
some additional documentation.

Let us know how it works out!

-mct