beldon on Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:07:41 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [PLUG] Linux-friendly DSL

> On Mon, 5 Jun 2000 beldon@scamail.com wrote:
>
> >They have a free installation/one month free deal until June 30 (it was
> >extended from May 31).  The details are at
> >http://www.scainternet.net/home/dsl.html.
>
> I don't mean to sound overly critical of them or you, but I couldn't
> find any technical details on that page (other than speeds and type of
> DSL).  So what kind of protocols do they use?  Is it straight Ethernet
> or that horrible PPPoE?  That kind of thing.  What I'm looking for is a
> page similar to http://www.telocity.com/ne/power/index.htm; I want to be
> able to get the info without giving them contact info.  :)
>
> Also, I think you addressed this before, but they don't appear to have a
> presence in this area -- how do they provide service for someplace they
> aren't?

They are the Service Provider, not the Network Provider.  The network
connection itself is done by a Network Provider (Covad, North Point, etc.) and
they are the ones who support the actual connection.  It depends on where you
live as to who provides the Network Services (it's Covad where I am, but they
deal with North Point in some areas and maybe others in other areas).

The connection is plain Ethernet (I also wouldn't go with PPPoE).  As far as
more technical questions, call them or e-mail joe@scainternet.net.  They're
very easy to get hold of and, since it's a small company, most of the people
there know the system pretty well.  Joe Pierce (the owner) is the guy I deal
with most often and he knows his system very well and doesn't mind answering
questions.

Like I said, I am aware that I'm taking chances with such a young company, but
they've aswered all my questions in a real direct way so far, and are Linux
Users.  If I can influence them to do more in the way of direct Linux support
and if, in doing that, they become an ISP of choice for Linux users, so much
the better, IMHO.